October 25

25-10-2018

And so it begins.
Tis the season
That "people" start rooting through
Parked cars looking for valuables.
Yup,
I got in my car this morning
Only to find someone
Had dug through the glove box
And console of my little sports car.
Much to their chagrin,
I do not even keep change in there!
So no score for the creep
Who was in my car,
In my yard.... In the middle of the night.

You will hear people start
The Christmas countdown
(Including me) Any time soon.

As a matter of fact 2 months
From this very day,
The majority of the holiday
Wil be over.

The fact is;
If you do not enjoy the lead up
To any holiday or event,
You may miss half of the fun
Of that time.

Not having kids around
At holiday time can be depressing,
If you allow that.
I choose to take another path.
The holidays with small children
Can create the greatest memories
But those memories came
With a great deal of effort
And sleeplessness for you,
To make those times so special.

Do not short change what you did!
Every child had their own version
Of the best holiday ever...

Memories today
Can be made differently
In a much more relaxed state!
Pick the parts you enjoyed
With the kids and do that
To celebrate the holidays.
From baking to stockings
There must be something.

Memories are not necessarily
In the grandeur of Christmas ads,
Or in the piles of unnecessary toys
Underneath an immaculately
Decorated 12 foot tree.

Memories are the tattered ornament
That makes you smile
Every year you get to hang it again.

Memories are the first year a teen
Has their own money to buy gifts,
Or teaching a child
To share the spirit with those in needed.

The best memories cost nothing!
Going out to see christmas lights,
Cookie exchanges,
Letters from family memebers
or a card a child made (or a friend made).

No matter rich or poor,
With kids or empty nesters,
The holidays should remind us
Of what we are thankful for.

Pick and choose.
Eliminate the worst and keep the best.
MAKE memories.
Involve yourself in making
A less fortunate person's holiday
A little better this year.

A self involved holiday
With perfect gift wrap, a huge tree
And exquisite food may be
Exactly the memory you want.
Is it the one you need?

I am attempting to give
Of myself this coming season.
I have much to be thankful for,
And many memories to carry me
Through the coming season.

Will you cringe as others start to prepare
Or will you laugh with them
And help them attain their goals,
Maybe making a cherished memory
For yourself along the way??

Today was busy!
I started by touching up a wreath
I made and was donating for a fundraiser.

Next off to Tim Hortons for donuts
And then to Valleyview for coffee.
Dad was in a mushy mood!
He was happy with his treats,
A pecan Danish, a new bag of speculaas,
And a load piece of banana bread for later.

When he went off for lunch,
I headed to the Miller house
To check up on my buddy Ray.

Then off to Giant Tiger for
Some supplies and goodies.

I finally got home around 1:30
And proceeded to prep meals for the week.
Tonight was teriyaki chicken breasts,
Garden vegetable rice and cauliflower.
I also prepped:
A crock pot of chili,
Cooked taco meat for Mexican night,
Made a spaghetti sauce with meatballs,
And prepped a roast beef for saturday
And cleaned it all up.

Sat down for a snack,
Updated the organizational group
And realized I felt like crap!
Laid down on the the sofa
And fell asleep!

John woke me up
when he came down at 6pm,
And I felt worse!
I had a massive headache too.
He shipped me off to bed.
I slept till 8pmn but still felt awful.
At that time he brought me
A really yummy supper
And half way through I felt 100% better!

Hmmmmm
A chocolate chip muffin at 10am
A bowl of cereal at 2pm
Some Doritos and a gingerale at 4pm
.... I guess I should have eaten!

At 9pm,
I sat down for 3 hours
And created 5 different styles
Of holiday inspired candle holders
6 of each one,
For a pop up store i am doing
At the end of November
For the residents of Valleyview.
Tonight I did 30, leaving only 12
Left to do tomorrow.

Before bed,
I hung a load of laundry,
Started the dishwasher,
Put away my clean laundry
And downsized my pyjama drawer.

Now it's 1am
And time for sleep...
Or a cheeseburger. Hmmmmmmm

Good night from John Street

Comments

Popular Posts