October 18

18-10-2018

Some days,
I remember what a great country
We could be living in 24-7.

I was in the kitchen working
When I heard a word I hate more
Than any other I know.

Bernardo.
The name makes my skin crawl.
The memory makes me nauseaous.

A little known fact about me:

Not only did I GROW UP
In St Catharines,
Half of my life was spent
In Port Dalhousie too!

I went to school
At PK Kerwin where Kristen French did,
I walked the same streets she did.

I and my family often
Walked past that horrific residence
Because my Grandmother
Lived ONE block away!

Today,
When they were doing the news
About his parole hearing,
I watched holding my breath,
Hoping they would not
Once again,
Give the offender the benefit
Of early parole
When the victims lost everything.

I cheered
When they debated only 20 minutes,
And said NO!

I am not a political kind of person.
I do not have any aspiration
To even try to understand
How his wife was released...
For ANY reason.

Guilt is guilt.
And those victims deserved better.
It is too bad that all too often
This kind of decision is not the norm.

Today was all about finishing my 120
Christmas cards, finding addresses
And dealing with stupid banks.

My house is clean,
I have a list of things to do
And hopefully this weekend will
Take care of all that.

For now,
I am exhausted
And will be saying a small prayer
Before bed tonight
That I am NOT coming down
With a cold already this season.

Good night from John Street

Comments

Popular Posts