Jan 7

January 7th, 2015

Goal setting.... ugh!
I am a failure at this as I DO set my goals too high.
BUT,
last year I learnt a trick...
 

Be Realistic

Don’t burn out by setting the bar too high for yourself. 
“It's great to go gang-busters on reaching your goal, but you don't want to set yourself up for failure. What you accomplish is in part based on what resources you have – namely, time, energy and will.”

In theory, it sounds great to resolve to exercise for an hour every day, but in reality, if you’re working 60 hours a week and then come home to two young kids and a husband that need your time and energy, you’re probably setting yourself up to fail. Instead, think about exactly how much time and energy you’ll have on a daily basis to dedicate towards your goals. You may not have a full hour, but you can probably find an extra 20 minutes somewhere, and those 20 minutes of exercise can offer plenty of benefits.

What about adding a nightly walk WITH your busy family?
What about doing the stairs not the elevator?
What about a hallway walk routine on break?


My love of post it notes.

Everyone I know has seen photos or made comments about
my post it note wall.
It used to be a reminder center for John and Judy.
A shopping list reminder board for me.

Then I realized 
last year
what a great way
to divide big chores up between us.
Those unattainable goals I make
can be broken down into small jobs that will result in
SUCCESS!


About once a month,
we each take a clipboard and wander the house
making notes of things that need to be done.
Everyone notices something different
so it is a great way to catch things like
cobwebs in the back hallway,
or light switch plates needing a wipe down.


Then we sit and chose the chores each of us 
(want?)
are willing to do.
The ones at the end no one really wants to do,
get a monetary value.
Yup I pay my crew to do chores.


The bigger chores,
we divide into parts.
When we work together
the bigger jobs are easier to handle.

This is very very visible 
to anyone who has come to our house
days before a big party!
Every room is a sea of post it notes!


Today sucked.
I had a migraine and just could not get out of bed.
We had a snow storm,
so Judy had today off.
I have not yet seen how much we have.


Judy took great care of her sick mom,
and let me sleep almost all day.

I am hoping
that tomorrow I will FINALLY be back to normal,
or as normal as I have ever been.

Dad's surgery was put off again till tomorrow.
Not sure why.

Good night from John Street




Comments

Popular Posts