Jan 12

January 12th 2015

Try this Trick to Control Impulsiveness

“One of the most common reasons people fail to keep New Year’s resolutions is not willpower, it is impulsiveness. Humans can’t delay a reward”. 
“Smoking that cigarette gives an immediate reward 
(it stops withdrawal symptoms and gives the sought after nicotine high), 
whereas the benefits of not smoking are delayed (improved heart and lung health, better skin, a longer life).” 

To help overcome that impulsiveness, something called prospective memory exercises help fight these types of 
cue-induced cravings. Visualize exactly what it will feel like when you experience these cues 
(like watching someone else smoke) and then write out the steps you will take to overcome the urge.

If you’re going out to dinner, review the menu in advance and write down the best choices that fit into your diet plan. 
Then snap a photo of a dress that you want to fit into once you have reached your goal on your phone. 
If you’re tempted by the sight of the cheeseburger, 
take a look at the photo and imagine yourself in that dress to help you stick with your healthier entrée.


I am not sure that this particular trick would work for me.
I want an ice cream cone.
I visualize the cone,
savour the flavour,
I would end up eating 3 instead of 1!


I feel better today.
I didn't accomplish much really,
but I did do some scrapbooking.


A little more rest helped 
and FINALLY a little normal peace and quiet.
Judy is back to school again,
(for a week and then we get exam hell week).
John is back to work this week,
we may see him on wednesday for the cadet parade/promotion.
.

Tomorrow is Ladies Day Out. 
I will go, just not sure how long I will be able to stay.

A quick trip to the grocery store, 
and a stop to Rogers.

So it is time to say,

Good night from John Street



Comments

Popular Posts