Jan 14

January 14th 2015


The life of a Mom.
We all believe we can do it all,
raise the kids, clean the house, pay the bills, 
organize the birthdays, buy the gifts, send the cards,
buy the groceries, remember all the family secrets, 
help with homework, keep everyone organized,
book the doctors, dentists, flu shots,
keep the peace, smile blindly,
try not to complain.










Why is it then,  
we are so surprised when we fail?
Why is it that we believe
that a regular 24 hour day 
does not, in fact, have 36 hours 
just because we want them too?
The life of a Mom.


Don’t Get Cocky

Don’t get overconfident. 
Even after four to eight weeks, staying on track can actually get harder before it gets easier, 
especially when it comes to giving up cue-induced cravings like cigarettes or junk food. 
These cravings may intensify at around the one or two month mark, 
and be even more challenging than they were the first week or two. 
The good news is once you’re about nine weeks into your game plan, things will get better 
and you’ll be more likely to succeed over the long run. 
Stay on track with visualization and prospective memory exercises during tough times.


Overconfidence.



Who hasn't believed they "kicked the habit "?
Who hasn't believed they "finally got it organized "?
Who remembers thinking "the weight is finally coming off "?

and then:
kind of like someone heard you say it,
whatever you believed
came to a sudden halt or stopped working.


That doesn't mean what I was doing was wrong,
or that the system I was using was not working.
If I look back: 98% of the time,
some other influence was there to throw me off track.

A cold 
can stop you from eating properly or excercising.
A family member needs your help for a long period of time, 
and you fall behind on your decluttering.
You believed you could start another big project 
BEFORE finishing the last one!


Whatever stopped you,
whatever made you fall behind,
you probably believed
"I can catch up on that tomorrow ".

"Tomorrow " for me usually means 
I will follow it with "well there is always tomorrow "
and so on, and so on, and so on, 
and very soon
I am 2 weeks behind and no way to fix it,
even if I was completely confident I could catch up.


I love being the overconfident,
Mom who thinks she can do anything.
The Mom who really believes
her precious girl is the most awesome
thing that ever happened to her!
The Mom who knows that her life 
is more awesome
because of the people she has in it,
and 
I know I will spend the next 36 hours of my 24 hour day
making sure I try my best to acknowledge
their part in my life!


Good night from John Street



Comments

Popular Posts