may10

May 10th 2015


Anna Jarvis lost control of the holiday she helped create.

Ann Jarvis (Anna's mother), passed away in 1905 and her daughter was devastated. Jarvis found an outlet to memorialize her mother by working to promote a day that would honor all mothers.



On May 10 1908, Mother's Day events were held at the church where her mother taught Sunday School in Grafton, West Virginia, and at the Wanamaker’s department store auditorium in Philadelphia. Although she did not attend the events, she sent 500 white carnations (her mother’s favorite flower). 




The carnations were to be worn by sons and daughters in honor of their own mothers, and to represent the purity of a mother’s love.

Mother’s Day quickly caught on because of  her letter writing and promotional campaigns across the country and the world, and she soon devoted herself full-time to the promotion of Mother’s Day.

In 1909 several senators mocked the idea of a Mother’s Day holiday calling it "puerile," "absolutely absurd," and "trifling." This didn't deter Jarvis. She enlisted the help of organizations like the World’s Sunday School Association, and the holiday passed through Congress with little opposition in 1914.

At the end of all that work,
Anna Jarvis hated the holiday she herself created.
She considered cards impersonal,
red carnations being sold to memorialize 
the mothers who have passed on
and "mother's day" breakfast menu items
the absolute epitomy of commercialization.

Personally I hate to hear men (any man) say
"why should I buy you something,
you are not MY mother"



I think all men should treat all the women in their lives
like they would want 
the mother in their life treated,
no matter who they considered to be that person.
That way if the people in her life
~forgot~
she will always know someone 
appreciates her.



All the women I know,
have a place in my daughters upbringing,
I did not do it alone.
Good, bad, indifferent, there or not,

loving or stern,
they all had a part 
in making my daughter the amazing person she is.

I am who I am because of the women in my life.
So many to mention,
and not enough time or space to list them all,
but all in my heart
and in my thoughts throughout the year.



For many years I did not have children.
I was a very proud Aunt.
I remember all of my 4+11+2+2+1 nieces and nephews,
and my 2 GREAT nephews,
names, birthdays and special abilities.
I remember thinking how lucky I was to have them.

That does not include
the friends children I consider special too!

I remember stories about all of them
BECAUSE
I was some part of all their lives!



I hope somewhere in each of their memories 
they have a few good memories of me too

Happy every kind of Mothers Day.


Good night from John Street.

Comments

Popular Posts