FEB 14

February 14th 2017

Happy Valentine's Day.

Another holiday?
or a perfunctory day we feel the need
to spend outrageous amounts of money
to say what we SHOULD say every day?

As the wife of a trucker,
the actual holiDAY means nothing
as for 98% of the time
my husband is not here.
The HOLI part of the day 
is when we choose to celebrate.

BUT
This is the first holiday
my parents' have spent living apart.

The pictures of them at their 
"sweethearts lunch" express more
than any silly card or expensive 
bunch of flowers could.
Dad was ready almost 
45 minutes early and sitting 
waiting for her to arrive!

They even had plans 
for after supper tonight,
2 dates in one day.
Thats how you celebrate a day
meant for the celebration
of love and romance.
They have practiced this holiday
for 55 years now 
(longer actually because they met
63 years ago!!!)

and they still get excited
about spending days together.

For my own part today,
I celebrated by photographing
the first 10 minutes of their dinner,
then making some deliveries.
I stopped to pick up items
for dinner with John
and that never happened
as I ended up with a splitting headache
and slept through
the few hours he was home
before heading to work at 4.

I spent the evening relaxing on the sofa,
eating a giant heart shaped 
whip cream filled donut from Spicers.

Good night from John Street

Comments

Popular Posts