nov12

November 12th 2015

I am of 2 minds today.

One half of my mind is appalled by what one human being can do to another human being, no matter who they are, what they are accused of and how they choose to live their life.

I live my life to the best of my ability. I strive to be honest. Although I am not always successful does that make me worthy of another person's disdain? I strive to live my life according to the religious upbringing in the Catholic church. I am not a puppet though and have my own beliefs based on what I understand, does that make me unworthy of forgiveness? I strive to treat others as they treat me. I am only human, so sometimes, the devil gets the better of me, so should I be stoned?

I spent the day with a human being, who is not perfect, has made mistakes, and lives her life as she chooses. Her diagnosis of Breast Cancer with secondary Bone Cancer would have happened while she attended this appointment ALONE. Social workers and doctors alike knew she had no one in the area, and allowed her to be sent to this appointment alone. I stepped in only out of love for my daughter and now am an active part in this woman's lonely trip through hell. How can the modern world with all we know think a woman with these illnesses can spend 7 HOURS roaming around a hospital alone? She had no idea she would be there that long, and so went with little money, and no food or drinks to keep her going. "I" insisted on porters to get her from A building to C building and back to A, this was not offered! The only help she was given was a suggestion that she could "go out for breakfast" while waiting 3 hours for an injection to have gotten to where it would show on an Xray, and the nurse although lovely admitted they did not tell patients that this test took so long. "I" am glad I was there to keep her nourished and hydrated.

My opinion of Victoria Hospital tonight.... very low. My opinion of her doctors and health care workers.... even lower. I watched as she was told that the medication she was given was very unlikely to have given her allergic reactions like she was claiming. So, a grown woman does not know the difference between a rash and dry skin? I am mortified, and will not sleep well, as that smiling doctors face will haunt me tonight, cooing "just start it up again, and use lots of lotion to stop the itching".

The day only brought up my worst memories of the hospital stay in 2011. The horrible things people said and did to me, and the indifference I faced by those who did not understand. I felt like some people visited and sent cards because they felt an obligation. I felt like I was secondary to other obligations in my family's life... and no one should feel like they are second choice TO ANYONE.
Unfortunately, many people in my life come and go when it is convenient for them.

The other half of my mind today
is floating in a house filled with projects and decorating only half done because life happens. I hate the mess, and I have lost the spirit to try to continue alone. I am hoping for much help this coming weekend. I like to see a project get planned, executed and finished in a timely manner. That did not happen this week, and in my mind, I have begun to feel stressed that this is the way this holiday and all its preparations will go.
(It's funny, a couple years ago, in a similar mood, I was invited out for coffee and cheesecake, and we dressed in blue - consoled each other, straightened out the mini messes causing this feeling - and went home re-energized... I realize today I was wearing blue!)

I am hoping this mood, and these feelings will be lessened by my evening of solitude, a good night's sleep tonight, and the prospect of a lovely coffee date at Heritage Gardens tomorrow.

Good night from a grumpy John Street resident







Comments

Popular Posts