mar27



March 27th 2015 


Sometimes I am very thankful 
for the time I get
that have few symptoms of my disease.
BUT
there are other times I take for granted
that I was healthy enough
to do or eat
whatever I wanted for 7 full days in a row.

I had a wonderful trip this week
and had immense amounts of fun
with very little of my usual bowel-interuptous issues.
Neglecting to be thankful for that short respit,
my immune system thought
"hey you are ignoring us!"


Thus taking the time to pay me back in full
for my lovely vacation!
I am not complaining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OMG no.
I am thrilled to have been able to enjoy the trip
the food, fun and friends.
and even if my immune system
doesn't realize I was thankful.
I was.


I am unsure of what some people think an attack is like.
Sometimes they are very painful
and fully life debilitating.
Other times 
it is just stomach cramps.
Sometimes, like today,
my whole body shuts down.
The only way to deal with that
is sleep.


I have learnt to base my days 
on how I feel when I wake up.
Plans are never carved in stone,
and food is not always my friend.

'Your body must have needed sleep'
is more accurate than some people think!
My immune system
without Remikade
thinks everything in its sight is an enemy,
and does all in its power to kill it.
Good cells, bad cells,
white and red blood cells,
infection or healthy...
they are all in my immune system's sights.


 Sleep is my hidden warrior,
I sleep to retaliate!
I am in low cycle this weekend
and I will blow my immune system away
on Monday with an infusion of remikade.
I plan to find a super hero cape for my IV bag.


I did not choose this battle.
This disease chose me to battle against.
Some days it wins,
some days I do,
and some days are a tie.
 More often than not - I win 
not because I am stronger or smarter
because
to lose I have to give up.


I am so happy I have have friends 
who know even though they cannot see 
the pain every time
they believe me.
They send hopeful emails,
hugs and sometimes even
a small gesture can make the difference in my day.
Today a big bunch of flowers
turned an otherwise
rotten day 
(which I slept through)
into a lovely evening with my family.



Tonight I spent relaxing 
watching a movie with my little family.
Sometimes 
that is enough happiness 
to make up for a crumby day.
The fact that my daughter
made caramel popcorn to eat
while we watched the movie?
priceless.


Tomorrow is another day.

Good night from John Street.




Comments

Popular Posts