Nov 28

28-11-2018

Grrrrrrrr! Tis the season for a rant.
Christmas is one of my favourite holidays and one of my least favourite times of the year at the same time.
Stores start Christmas decor sales in MID SEPTEMBER, and so the season can become tiring. The gift lists seem impossible to tackle, cooking and baking will never get done, decorating will never happen the way you want it to, and family is less than helpful. You can feel so very alone.
Most years it comes to a head around now. Then at the worst possible moment you hear "do NOT buy me a gift", "we can't afford gifts this year" while having a cigarette and holding a beer, or the ever popular "I hate this time of year".
Christmas cards and letters are also things people gave up on YEARS ago. I do understand at $1 per card, mailing them is an expensive proposition. But! Let me ask you: How does it make you feel, when you open the mailbox and find a card there among the junk mail, bills and ads? (snail mail or email) For me, it is almost unconceivable to NOT tear open that envelope. It makes me smile. At the least I realize that they had to not only THINK to send me greetings but also spend $1 to do it.
Obviously you mean something special to them. The card may also bring back fond memories of those people, and if it happens to include photos or a letter... well wow. If that inspires you to join back into the Christmas card craze... but need to fit it into the budget, do what we do.
1. Make a list and divide onto 2 sheets, the first is ones you can email, the second is the ones you want to personally mail to.
2. The email can be a generic mass email, or a "blueprint". A generic greeting is fast and to the point. Include greetings from all the members of your family and you are done. A blueprint is a generic letter you can copy and paste and then personalize each one, adding personal touches.
3. Take the "to mail" list and redivide into local and NEED to stamp.
Now you have a count for stamps.
4. The local ones can now be subdivided again into ones you will see and ones you are unlikely to see.
5. The likely to see, get signed and put into your purse (or car).
6. The unlikely ones become a "delivery night". Pile everyone into the vehicle in their Santa hats, with hot chocolates. As you deliver your local cards, you can also see the local light displays!!!! No need to visit, just place in their mailbox or (bring tape) attach them to the door. Everyone can take turns being the "mailman".
Baking was a necessity for holidays of the past. Now we have so many ways to have baked goods without actually cooking. No one expects a person who doesn't cook, to suddenly become a super chef just because its Christmas. BUT! anyone (except me) can make a batch of rice krispie squares, and they are usually the first item to be eaten off the tray. So don't beat yourself up trying expensive, new, fancy recipes JUST BECAUSE you seen one in a magazine. Only do it if it makes you happy. We always over-dessert. Once dinner is done, hardly anyone can move anyway!!!! So cut your dessert list back to a couple basic pies and a few kinds of cookies. Store bought if necessary. KISS - Keep it simple stupid. Bake your best and buy the rest. That is the whole premise to any cookie exchange anyway.
Cooking dinner this year? CUT BACK! Make the favourites and forget the Martha Stewart pine nut and cranberry stuffing you found.... Most likely its not the "memory" anyone is looking to find on the table at a holiday dinner anyway. (Save that for a small dinner party night) No dinner table NEEDS more than forks, knives, napkins and plates. Although the place cards and decorations are beautiful, they are in the way when everyone is trying to reach the pickle dish or mashed potatoes! If you still want all the fun decorations, hang a stocking or gift bag on the back of each person's chair (tie it on with a nice ribbon or bow) so each person has a place to put their items into when dinner begins.
Are you a guest this year? Offer to bring something YOU would appreciate someone to offer if you were hosting. Do not ask "what can I bring?" instead just send them a text or email saying, "by the way I will bring deviled eggs for the dinner this year, hope this helps". No one wants the added stress of giving you any items off the top of their head. Budget conscious? Take on only the turkey and mashed potatoes and have everyone bring their favourite item like a potluck. Make a family chat to keep a running tab of everything that is coming.
If I could type GRRRRRRRRR in a big enough font to fill this page, I would. This is my personal controversial theory. I am very lucky. We own a home, vehicles, my husband is employed, I am healthy this year and the 2 of us are very happy in our little house on John Street. We have survived another year together, the good, the bad and the ugly. We are not independantly wealthy, nor do we have a big bank account. No mansion or servants here, but we are comfortable.
My gift list is riddled with people (including family) I only see sometimes... and that includes their children and spouses. I CHOOSE to purchase for these people because it makes ME happy. I think in the wealthiness of the past (the excessive 80's) people felt spending money showed your love. I have to admit, buying something a little expensive for someone you love, that you KNOW they want can be a great feeling. BUT the gifts most people get excited about is the gifts that are thoughtfully bought OR are a tradition. Like the BULK size ketchup the 5 year old will have a hard time lifting! What about heated work boots for the construction worker? What about homemade cookies? Oranges in stockings, lifesaver books and pez dispensers in stockings. NOT a $600 new phone!
Refer back to pioneer Christmasses. They did not have the ability to run out to Dollarama to waste $20, or $10 on lottery tickets at the corner store. So why do you feel the need to????? Take that $10 or $20 and rethink why you are doing it. Answer: because it looked amazing on the commercial or in the ad. Just a few years ago I experienced dismay, when after going to several places for $5 gift cards, I was TOLD by the restaurant that the minimum I COULD BUY was $10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just who made that decision for me? I just wanted them to have coffee on me, or a burger one day in the new year.
Most family members do not NEED a big gift, and if they do, consult the WHOLE family and buy a group gift. I think my funniest memory is the year my father wanted a circus set for his model railroad. It was expensive. Thanksgiving came and everyone knew what we were doing. The whole set had been bought. Each piece and part (down to the little people and concession stands) had been priced. EVERYONE could afford "a part" even the teenagers. No stupid saying T shirts for him that year. We had ALL given him the gift of a circus on the railroad.
Everyone says teens don't understand Christmas. I am proud to say that I have MANY in my circle of friends and family, who filled out their Christmas wish lists with the most amazing requests this year. Family time, board games and less "big ticket items" were the case this year.
Everyone's attendance at dinner is what is most necessary and what is most appreciated. Look back at your past Christmasses. What was your absolutely favourite gift of the past? What gift excited you the most?
For me, when I was a child, my Aunt Dolly made a point of requesting a homemade ornament each year. Every year it was such a thrill to bring her one and see all our past ornaments on her tree. She always made a big deal over it and it made me feel great. 40+ years later its still a favourite memory for me. I ensured that my daughter carried this tradition on for many years.
For my family, they LOVED getting photos. My Grandmother started this. My favourite gift from Judy when she was small, was an 8x10 frame with a picture she had made. She was about 5 or 6. From then on, on special occasions, she made a new picture, took the frame down, refilled and wrapped it. It was a easy gift for her to make, and no cost. NOTHING for John to do but make sure it happened (super easy if it was last minute) and help wrap it. Pinterest does not have to just be something to do when you are bored. Remember that $20 for lottery tickets for ONE person? $20 would go a LOOONNNGG way to completing many gifts for many people.
Put away your debit card, toss those over processed credit cards with high interest and THINK.
I personally would rather receive a mint aero bar (my favourite) than a whole box of Ferrero Rocher (which I don't like). 89 cents vs $10!!!! I would prefer a $5 gift card from Taco Bell (my favourite) than another $59 Pier One blanket in a colour that does not match my decor and I have to find a home for. I would love a batch of rice krispie squares (I can't make them) more than an expensive bath set (I shower). John prefers homemade fudge, M&M's and canned nuts, rather than another red neck t-shirt with a funny saying.
Know what else those ideas come with?????? NO GUILT! If I receive a small gift, I do not feel that insane amount of OMG I didn't get her anything, or anything near this expensive. Why? because someone had to think about, or ask about ME. They did not just walk into WalMart buy 20 of the same thing and hand them out. Any item that someone appreciates, is very personal like knowing the tea they drink or, even better is handmade - WILL ALWAYS beat out a $10 bag of Dollar Tree items.
What about you? Is this true? Give only what you know you would appreciate getting. NEVER buy because you want to look important or because you think have to. Everyone can tell.
I put up a lot of trees in my home, Martha Stewart decorates theme trees. What do YOU personally like? If a table top tree makes you happy, then that is what will make you smile and you should do it. If a candle in the window is your idea of outdoor decor, do it. Not everyone needs a National Lampoon home, unless that makes them happy.
This is the end of November, choose to remember how lucky you are to have a home, friends, family and the ability to eat regularly, when so many struggle to just find some of that. During all the holiday prep, invitations, recitals and problems you face, remember to realize the wealth you enjoy daily. Holidays are to celebrate family and friends NOT to go broke trying to outdo everyone else.
Why do we have to make everything so difficult?
Choose sense this year.
Do not tell me what I am "going to do" because if I want to buy you a gift, I will. If I want to mail 70 cards (and I did), I will. AND If I want to say Merry Christmas, I will too.
Adopt a friend who is a Christmas orphan this year
and give them the gift they will never forget.
Rant over for 2018

Good night from John Street

Comments

Popular Posts