dec3

December 3rd 2015


Today was nothing.
I guess I used up all my work energy yesterday.

I spent the morning running errands,
the afternoon sitting wrapped up in a big blanket because for some reason I was freezing,
and the late afternoon getting John off to work and Judy off to training.

Christmas family

The thought for pondering today can be taken on a religious level OR a in a real thought provoking manner.

Many years ago (it seems), my yearly family Christmas celebration on Christmas Eve ended. With my parents having moved closer by, I started hosting a much smaller Christmas dinner by taking them to King's Buffet. We invited a few friends to join us the following year, whose families celebrated on a different day. Within two years we had 50 people join us. Surprised we realized, what we called an orphans dinner, was actually a gathering of a family of people to share in the season, that really had no one else to celebrate with. There was no ulterior motive to the invites. Just a heartfelt, open invitation to not stay at home alone.

A family in by gone days included everyone on the farm and was a celebration of a good year. When rural families became dwellers in subdivisions, the celebration was focused more on the immediate family, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles and cousins, and became a "keeping up with the Jones" kind of celebration. Now, our families include friends and neighbours, and are notably less formal and based less on the gifts under the tree.

I hope you take a chance this season to look around and make an effort to include a few people who have no other people to celebrate with.

Otherwise, I think this woman is hitting the bed early.
This headache is killing me.

Good night from John Street

Comments

Popular Posts