dec23

December 23rd 2015

Busy day
with a mini Christmas party at my house
a pickle in the tree party
a bbq hamburger dinner
and then John and I went and did the groceries.
We are done buying food
for all the meals this holiday...
except some special orders to pick up at Spicers and the Dutch Bakery in the morning.


Thought for today: believe

Believe, for the religious, is a central part of their faith. Asked to believe the impossible, trust in the unknown and unsee-able and faithfully follow the rules of the their beliefs.

Many adults find pause in the their faith, so why do we expect children, especially those who are coming into their teens to believe in something so absolutely unrealistic as the story of the North American Christmas Eve Santa????



This is a problem I faced about 12 years ago now. Not a problem for someone like me, who absolutely believes in the spirit of the season.

As you may know I have 11 nieces and nephews on one side, 4 on the other and 2 cousins with 2 children each and one adopted in niece. At the time my nephew (the oldest of my sisters) was at that "I am too old for this" crap stage. With many brothers, sisters and cousins younger than he was, I took him up to his room for a "talk".

I asked him what he had asked for, and he obliged me by telling me. I responded with "why did you ask if you do not believe?"
Christmas is about more than your WANT LIST. It is a time for everyone to believe in something bigger than they are.

OF COURSE a fat man in a red suit does not fly around the world in a sleigh led by reindeer, one with a red lightbulb for a nose, and squeeze his fat butt down a chimney!!!!!!!!!!!!! But when you were younger you believed.

Now I want YOU to believe this.
Christmas is a time of gift giving, happiness and joy.
Christmas is a time of love and new beginnings.
Christmas is about families,
and celebrating everything we have.
Santa is a part of all those things.

Believe in the spirit of Christmas,
and that does not mean go spend all your allowance!!!!
Go downstairs now to the celebration with a smile,

a gift to us all.
Sit on Santa's lap and smile for a photo,
a gift for your parents.
Keep the story of Christmas in your heart,
a gift to yourself.
Believe in magic
and give your brothers, sisters and cousins
a chance to experience the Christmas
you were able to have when you were that small,
a gift to your family.
Enjoy the bountiful buffet your parents
provided for us tonight, a gift to God.

If you do all that,
doesn't that make you as much Santa as anyone else? He thought about it for a moment. Kissed me. Went downstairs and did all those things. I hope he passed all that on to his siblings as they grew up.



Good night from John Street

Comments

Popular Posts