November 18th 2014

What a weird day. Maybe its the change in weather. I am soooooo tired today. I don't feel yucky just tired! and cold.... I am never cold, but man I am today.

I feel unorganized too, like I am running around without a head. I know I am more organized than most, but its like I am forgetting something..... it is knawing at the back of my mind.

Anyway, went to LDO today and finished signing my Christmas cards. Made a few lists I have been avoiding (like budgets), picked up stamps (WOW! if you got a stamped card... consider that your gift this year!), picked up Judy's birth family photo cards (they are beautiful) and when I got home about 3pm I found numerous packages in my mailbox. I spent the better part of 2 hours pricing and receiving these items..... good thing they were cute Mickey Mouse things. Judy made supper, spaghetti and meat sauce, and it was YUMMY!

We put up the white tree (last year for the poor thing) on the back deck so John can be seasonally entertained while smoking, a small back bathroom tree, and I have another small tree up here to put up tomorrow..... head count right now 3 trees and counting.

Judy said what she hates most is ALL the christmas totes coming up at once and it taking weeks to get through them. So, her plan was to bring 1 box up every day for me to go through! I have kept up with her so far. My plan is to have all trees up and lit by thursday night. no decorations yet... just up and lit. It seems the best way to be able to put away the boxes she brings up each day. As today's box was all the kitchen decorations. While sifting through them tonight I decided my kitchen is being decorated rustic not the same as previous years. I have lots of inexpensive ideas and can't wait to explore them further.

But that leaves me feeling slightly alone.

No one in my group is starting their decorating yet, so I feel alone in my work. It does not help that I put up so many decorations, but when I took the "holiday values" excercise in the first week, from the 6 week planning site, it asked what you do for you, for others, because it is expected, because it is demanded, or because it brings you joy. Having my trees up, brings me joy. I want all of them again this year.

Its more fun when you can turn to someone in the same boat you are in and say "don't you hate it when" and have them completely understand your frustrations, but my friends will catch up eventually I suppose, probably after I have fought with the last string of lights.


Things I decided against this year include my open house. I am sad to say that although it was fun having it, I can just as easily have a coffee party mid week with the girls and enjoy it as much without the stress.



I also decided to open my mouth, quite early this year, and discuss the whole ridiculousness of extravagant gifts! We decided that a heartfelt gift of a favourite chocolate bar is more appreciated than a bag full of dollar store items someone bought because they could not think of anything else. We put a maximum of $5 per person and pushed the homemade gift idea. We will see if everyone takes our concerns to heart.

I also discussed the budget with John and Judy, cutting back yet again this year just how much was being spent. I am also starting to donate and cut back how many decorations I really need. Although it will hurt, the kitchen christmas decor was not hard to do....... lets see how I do when it come to ornaments!

I also discarded the dreaded christmas letter. Most people are on facebook anyway and following what goes on, I did enclose a "save the date" card as Judy has a ton of things coming up this spring.

Then Judy and I sat and talked and made a paper garland like everyone made in kindergarten. 3 colours, 40 sheets of cardstock and 2 hours. It was fairly relaxing and we researched some decorating ideas at the same time. Fun. Wonder if I can talk her into stringing popcorn?

So, I am off to bed.

but not before

another 8 things to make your holiday wonderful!














  • Buy only weatherproof lights and extension cords for outside use, wrap connections with electrical tape
  • Whistle "walking in a winter wonderland" while in the shower. Buy a festive red or green scrubby and seasonal body soap
    (avon has a new one this year..... I just ordered it)
  • Organize a neigborhood decorating contest. The winner receives a plate of homemade goodies from all participants
    (done for years)
  • Never set a candle under a shelf or inside a wall unit. Heat rises and is a fire hazard
  • Create a homemade sled out of a cardboard box, then find a hill
    (or a really heavy duty garbage bag!)
  • Be creative with gift wrapping, use old newspapers, the yellow pages and the funny pages
    (can't get into this...... too anal. Love my gifts to match under the tree)
  • Consider buying your tree from a service organization
  • Ask your post office about recommended mailing deadlines
    (no problem there! I mailed tonight to beat the rush)

Good night

Comments

  1. Every time I try to comment Google somehow loses it. One more try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it worked this time!
    I bet half of the readers don't check the challenge until the next day or don't bother at all. I'm just picking & choosing what I can do & feel it's keeping myself me better on track so I hopefully won't have those last minute panic attacks.

    It is so much easier when you have a willing helper. I don't do near as much since being empty nesters.

    I would march out 400 nutcrackers from a tiny basement closet & fly-in 400 owls, each individually wrapped or boxed. Couldn't do the tree until that was done. Of course, that started early November. Reverse parade wasn't til March break. It was more of a race than a march at that time!

    So enjoy your ritual of tree & house decorating with Judy. I really miss it. Perhaps as the grandchildren come along the major Christmas rituals will rise again. I sure enjoy you sharing yours with us.

    Thanks Debbie
    Keep it up
    I don't think I'm too far behind.....lol

    LINDA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ritual?
    Not the right word at all.

    Tradition
    Much better word

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts