june11

June 11th 2015

Today was a busy busy day for me.
Unplanned
Unlisted
Unaware the mess was so large.


Today ended up being all about:

val·ue
ˈvalyo͞o/
noun

1. the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something.
"your support is of great value"
synonyms: worth, usefulness, advantage, benefit, gain, profit, good, help, merit

I have been a collector of craft items all my life. When I was a teen it was rug hooking, ceramics and needlepoint kits. When I got married I started crafting almost everything: floral arrangements, christmas decor, painting, needlepoint and more. When Judy arrived not only did I start collecting children's crafts, I started to scrapbook. I moved my large stash around and stored it neatly. Just in case I needed it. Vast quantities of items were donated a few years ago, but it was time once again to downsize.
2. a person's principles or standards of behavior; one's judgment of what is important in life.
"they internalize their parents' rules and values"
synonyms: principles, ethics, moral code, morals, standards, code of behavior
"society's values are passed on to us as children"

The act of collecting is sometimes as gratifying as, well anything else. That could be buttons, tools, online friends or stuffed bears. The value of the friends you surround yourself with, should be more important than the items you accumulate. It is easy to forget that. I find sometimes it is hard to understand other peoples deciding factors on what is valuable. Sometimes underlying my purchases in the past, I have been known to buy it so I could say I had every colour! Worse, is finding something you convince yourself you MAY need in the future because of the great price.
verb

1. estimate the monetary worth of (something).
"his estate was valued at $45,000"
synonyms: evaluate, assess, estimate, appraise, price, put/set a price on
"his estate was valued at $345,000"

My value is not defined by anyone or anything but me. If no one comes to coffee wednesday, it is not something I did, or did not do. It took a very long time not to blame myself or my dog for this. Their choice does not reflect on who I am. I have collected a very wide range of friends in my lifetime. Not all fit together like puzzle pieces, but none would I give up for the other either. My collection of friends is not something I downsize.

2. consider (someone or something) to be important or beneficial; have a high opinion of.
"she had come to value her privacy and independence"
synonyms: think highly of, have a high opinion of, hold in high regard, rate highly,esteem, set (great) store by, put stock in, appreciate, respect; More

I find value in everything I have, that I do and that I accomplish. I am not able to be everything to everyone. I have a family and their needs will always come first. I speak my mind diplomatically, as that is how I wish to be treated by others. I wish no ill on others who do not contribute to my well being, but choose to step back from negatitity when necessary.

Values
are a hard lesson to teach to our children
when you can not find value in yourself.

The value of constantly upgrading your television
for bigger and possibly better
will be a never ending battle 
as new models arrive on the scene daily.

Currently:

I value my comfort.
I get hot easily these days.
I look to find places where I can relax in comfort,
away from computers and chores and to-do lists,
and enjoy myself.

I value my family
and my friends
and try to keep a balance.
That is sometimes not easy to do
but I try.


I am headed to bed after a busy day
of decluttering my shelves of crafting items
I saved "just in case" I needed them in the future.
The need for them is no longer
something that holds any value.

Someone out there
they may bring a smile to someone else's collection.



Good night from John Street.








Comments

Popular Posts