Sunday August 17th 2014

Everyone has a chore they hate.
Laundry is usually the most popular complaint of households.
Not me.
Although I may change my mind about that in around 12 months...


I used to have a washer and dryer in the house, until about 1 1/2 years ago. I was finally fed up with broken parts and leaky doors and people forgetting to empty the washer to the dryer or refused to fold items from the dryer.
AND not sorting their clothes into the hampers.


So when the machines were finally dragged out to scrap I adopted a new laundry regime and I LOVE it.

Laundry day is every 2 weeks here. (give or take a day or two) The laundry baskets are sorted by color. Whites, towels, denims, blacks, reds and anything else. The day starts with the stripping of the beds, and the baskets put out to the truck with soap, bleach etc. Drinks chosen from the fridge and we are off. Our current laundromat has change makers AND a debit machine...... so no prep that way.

We arrive and all the baskets are brought in, sorted into the 4 different size machines offered, depending on the size of the load. As I walk around putting the change on the machine for each one... Judy loads the soap/bleach etc. The process of bringing the baskets to the truck, driving there, unloading the truck and starting the machines takes relatively speaking 15-20 minutes total. In general this is probably one of the worst parts of this system - depending on the weather.

Now we are free for 30-40 minutes depending on the machines. So we go out and get takeout....pizza, burgers, subs whatever. I let Judy choose as she does most of the carrying. Then we get to sit, eat and talk.


Soon enough it takes a quick 10 minutes to move the wash to the dryers. (we are now at 1 hour and 10 minutes NO MATTER HOW MANY LOADS WE ARE DOING - even if we have chosen to wash all the comforters)


All the laundry NOT destined for the dryer but needing to be hung to dry is taken to the vehicle now. We now get to sit back with our drinks, talk or play hangman, or do homework or make grocery lists.

After 20 minutes, the dryers are done. (1 1/2 hours max now) We have 7 laundry baskets left, and as Judy pulls the items out of the dryer I sort them into 1 of the baskets. John's, Judy's, Deb's, kitchen, towels, bedding or truck stuff. Each basket gets folded (and is now ready for whatever room it belongs in) and loaded back into the truck. The process of folding, bringing the baskets to the truck, driving home, unloading the truck and putting baskets in each room, relatively speaking, takes 30 minutes total. In general this is probably the second worst part of this system,

I do not think we have ever spent more than $20 plus our meal out, AND we are done in 2 hours. At home it takes days to get all this done. I have often wondered how much more we spent on hydro and water - never mind time - when we did this chore at home. It HAD to be more than the $40-50 per month I spend now.

The entire process has become a game now. How fast can we actually get back home with baskets inside the house. The BEST time we have ever made is 1 hour and 40 minutes. The worst time 2 1/2 hours. ALL the laundry gets done, we have had a meal together, talked and I got to spend time with someone special in my life, without tv. computer etc, who will soon enough not be here to talk to everyday.




I guess part of my laundry day,
is made special by whom I spend it with.
I am going to miss that time
when she moves out.






This afternoon I was very lucky to be able to spend most of it with the 2 youngest Lale children while the oldest Lale tried out for a part at our local theater. We played Who-ville-o-poly and I lost.



We played catch with Shooter and had a visit with the Mastiff Memphis and Mastiff pup One Eyed Willie from across the street, Kennedy was very brave and even pet the big one! (see the size difference?)




Then we had a hot dog BBQ supper for 6, complete with vanilla party ice cream sandwiches and chocolates for dessert, before I had to send them home.

Tonight will be an early night as my Dad arrives for the week tomorrow morning. We are off to Port Stanley Beach from 12-6. John is leaving soon and Judy is tired.

Good night!


Comments

Popular Posts