sept6

September 6th 2015

Living on the OTHER side of 18!

Think back to the last year's of your childhood, the last year of high school and all you planned to try to accomplish, things you wanted to do and see and all the first times you experienced...

That is my lot in life this year. Watching a young girl experience a lot of firsts, make some mistakes that she could have avoided and some mistakes that may turn out to be the best things that happen to her yet.

We said good-bye to her friend Alex. We have known her almost as long as Judy has lived here! She is off to experience her first semester away from home at a new school, and although I wish her the best, will miss her beautiful smile.

I tried to remember how hard it was to leave home at that age, starting my whole new life in a new city, new school and my own apartment!
29 years ago... not so long I do not remember but an eternity of memories, mistakes and choices about what was now MY life.

I try to keep that in mind when judging judy's decisions now. Although she still lives here, she is old enough to want to start her own life and make decisions. I want her to be safe and happy and protected. BUT that ship is no longer sitting in the dry docks. She is old enough to test out her sea legs, and make choices.. Good or bad... so she can start her life.

One semester of high school is all that remains. Judy is upgrading a few marks this fall, while training on weekends as a reservist. I will only be able to see her late sun night, mon night, Tues night and wed night, and I have to share that time with friends and boys and personal time!

A whole new life here in St Thomas, not sure about all these changes, but they are coming ready or not!

Good night fom John Street.

Comments

Popular Posts