OCTOBER 25

October 25th 2017

I did not realize
How much weight
I had put on today's tests.

Surprisingly calm,
I swallowed all the prep yesterday
And drove into London
Very calm
Knowing I was doing this alone.
AND
I was OK with it,
It was just a colonoscopy.
I have been doing these
For 30 years now.

I have lived through
All of what is known about Crohns.

30 years ago
In about mid summer
After being ill and no one knowing
What was causing it,
My Grandmother was diagnosed
With Crohns disease
And 2 weeks later it was confirmed
That indeed I had it too.

After battling an illness
They started out calling stomach flu,
And ended with me in isolation,
I was told they knew very little
About this disease,
How to treat it
And how you got it.

So I have been a part
Of all the "new thoughts"
And interesting theories.

I have been in many studies,
Tried a bazillion drugs
And had (thankfully)
Only 3 major battles with it,
And I beat it all 3 times.

Now
I am very fortunate to be on
A very expensive drug regimen
That has been working for...
5???? Years now.

My one HUGE fear
Is that the scary side effect
Of the drugs I need to take
Is cancer.
It does not help my worry
That just 3 years ago,
My dad had bowel cancer.

So a colonoscopy
Is the "fate date" for me
Every two years.
So after being put completely under,
And a thorough check up done,
Including a biopsy and polyp removal,
They concluded
That I was once more cancer free!!

In recovery,
I usually am very groggy
after this invasive icky test.
But hearing Dr Gregor say it,
I was wide awake immediately,
And very perky!

Off for lunch
As I had not eaten since eggs
On Monday morning!
I wanted a coke and FOOD!!!

Posted the great news
And called Dad before
He had his lunch at VV.

One hot roast beef sandwich later,
We made a pit stop
At the Wellington Dollar Tree
Before heading home.

I hit the sofa
Immediately after grabbing a coke
And some comfy pjs.
I spent the afternoon
Watching tv and shopping on ebay.

I got to tell John after 5
When he woke up
And we celebrated with pizza.

Now it's time to sleep off
The rest of the anasthetic.
I can drive again tomorrow,
So it's donut day with Dad.

Good night from John Street :)

Comments

Popular Posts