mar15

March 15th 2016


My life.
by Debbie Shannon

Sometimes,
just when you think
you have dealt with it all
a new life lesson
pops up in the most unexpected place
and slaps you upside the head.

TODAY
was Remicade day.
Four and a half years ago
my friend Paula
sat holding my hand
at Victoria Hospital for the first
of many bi-monthly infusions,
as I started this new treatment.

It had been a rotten year
with many severe illnesses,
many surgeries and a lot
of long hospital stays.
At the cost of $5000 (thousand)
every 8 weeks per infusion,
(now every 6 weeks)
the decision to go forward
with this drug was made
by a group of friends and family,
I considered my immediate
care group.

So, today,
while sitting in the new infusion lab
in North London, feeling safe,
as those that are there
are there for the very same reason.
Conversations do not need
to be "prettied up"
and can get quite detailed.

That is not necessarily true apparently!
The lovely woman about my age
who was sitting next to me
started asking how long
and why I was on this drug.

After the shock 
of my having lost
two thirds of my insides in 2011
seemed to settle in,
and the highlights of my illness
and that I have had it since I was 19...

***Keep in mind
when conversing from these infusion chairs
its hard to see each other from a reclined position
unless you really sit forward...

I heard a sniff!
I looked over shocked to find her crying!
I try to keep myself dull to the actual
"things" I have gone through,
but as a Crohn's survivor
I assume I am not alone with my tales...

Over the past years,
I have heard many tales
of surgeries, drugs, dumb doctors
and misplaced hope.
I have never felt the need to cry,
but rather cheer for the success of the patient.

This poor woman had apparently
never heard tales like this!
She has been having infusions 
for ten years now.
I do not want praise
for fighting my way back
although I do love my cheerleaders!
I did what I had to do,
and will continue on that path.

I think I received a shock value awareness,
that what I consider normal about my life,
and the way I choose to handle it,
is much different
than how others may have.

Maybe
just a little strength gets passed on that way,
when others can tell the story
unafraid
strong
and for now healthy enough
to continue on as normal as possible.



146.  Touristy knick knacks

147.  Business cards – Keep an electronic record

148.  Puzzle books you don’t use

149.  Old textbooks

150.  Unused vases


Good night from John Street

Comments

Popular Posts