jan10

January 10th 2016

Everyone can look at their childhood
and find faults.
No one ever had a perfect childhood
even the most pampered child
can find things he/she wished
they had been given.

Not everything
that we find as a fault
could be bought either.
Speaking to my friends alone,
the common denominator
is always the wish of having been able
to speak to their mom/dad
on uncomfortable subjects.

I was raised well in an upper middle class family.
I was spoiled (but knew it)
and raised in a rather strict household
heavily based on the Catholic faith.
I knew to stay within the lines
and I knew what could be discussed
and what was just not brought up.

I watched my nieces and nephews being raised,
before we were given our little gift of  Judy
and prayed I would be able to miss
some of the hurdles I seen.
It was much easier
as we only had one
vs the 2 -11 my family members
had been blessed with!

Even now as an adult,
I have trouble speaking to my mother
about embarrassing or hard subjects.
That was my gift to my child.
I wanted her to feel comfortable enough
to talk to me, and safe enough
that any conversation could be broached.

Tonight,
**I am thankful that I took the time
to talk to my daughter
about uncomfortable, private, personal things.
**I am thankful she trusts me enough to tell me
her feelings, knowing I will desperately try
to understand what she is trying to tell me,
**I am thankful I can give her the chance
to let her make the mistakes she has to,
for her to grow as a person.
**I am thankful she respects the opinions
of her caring and loving family and friends
but reserves the right to make the final decision.
**I am so thankful that the way we raised her

so she would know what her goals are
and gave her the drive to go after them.
**I am thankful that she has grown up
to be a strong, independent, beautiful woman.
**I am thankful that she cares
about her relationships with all her parents.
**I am thankful that she can see past herself
to care for the needs of others around her.

She makes it easy to be a proud parent.

Good night from John Street

Comments

Popular Posts