apr12

April 12th 2015


I am in pain.

This pain is unbearable.

You are being a pain.

Everyone says it,
not usually correctly.
There are probably 100 different ways 
to describe how you actually feel.

The word pain is overused.
It is so abused it lacks any merit 
when someone says it.
It is almost disregarded.



Then there are days like today 
when the expected pain does not happen.
You are ready for it, 
everything is in place to deal with it,
and yet you realize its not there.

John had 26 teeth removed yesterday,
stitches in his poor abused mouth,
and he did this while he was awake
sitting in the dentist's chair.


This morning,
he realized how much pain 
he had been dealing with for years,
and the discomfort he feels today,
is better than what he was living with!!
**Although I am keeping him on the pain meds
for the whole 7 days just to be sure.


I think, I for one,
compartmentalize my pain.
Yes it hurts, 
but does it hurt as much as _________ ?
Is the pain so bad that I can't function?
Have I or do I need to take 
a pain killer and just move on with my day?
Should I be in bed?
Do I need to go to the hospital?
Have I been avoiding dealing with this pain too long?


So today,
John was awake before 8 
showered and headed downstairs. 
I was having NONE of that
and rolled over and went back to sleep.
He had something to eat,
tore all the winter plastic in the windows down,
and ventured outside.

When I came down at 10,
he was grumpy!
"I am bored! Go buy me a rake."


Now normally, I would appease this by doing so
but
instead I came back inside 
and made myself some breakfast.

I can happily report
1) he found a rake in our stash of gardening tools
2) I would have bought the wrong kind
when I seen what he was using
3) he was happy for 3 hours raking the back yard.

I went out about 11 am
and got the back porch straightened up
and swept.
He was happier by then.


He played some catch with Shooter the beagle 
who is very happy to be able to spend time outside again.
Judy did some homework at the patio table,
and I enjoyed my shady porch.

He had over done it and slept from 1:30-4.
Judy worked tonight so
before she left she whipped up
some mashed potatoes for her dad.
(she can be such a thoughtful girl)


John wanted a hamburger but was happy
that she had thought of him 
and got some solid food tonight.
(or at least as solid as he is getting for this week)
He also made a small amount of scrambled eggs
and had a bowl of ice cream.
All well within the restraints the dentist gave him. 

Did I mention he finally tackled 
removing our broken dishwasher tonight?
Thanks to Anne we have new one.
I may keep him on tylenol 3 and nicotine patches forever.

We spent some time tonight relaxing on the sofa
watching the final episodes 
of the last season of ALIAS.


We have a few errands to run tomorrow
and then he is back to work!

Good night from John Street.






Comments

Popular Posts