May 16

05-16-2018

Why do we feel the need to change?

If we are changing
Something about ourselves
That is causing others harm,
That is self destructive
Or that can be quickly changed
Than I say go for it!

But...

If we are changing to suit
Someone else's version of us
Or what someone else thinks
Will make us a better
Is THAT a necessary change?

The things that make us,
Who we are and make us special,
Are not up for negotiation.

It's not like my being blonde
Would suddenly make me
A quieter version of myself!!!
Nor would wearing all black
And going Goth make my personality
Any more or less appealing!

I am 50 years old.
I have 31 years of pain management
For a permanent disability.
This has framed who I am,
How I do things and what I know.
No matter what I try to change
My first 50 years will always be
What formed who I am, what I do
And what choices I make.

So change?
Change just in case?
Change for someone else?
Change because it looked good
On the Internet website?
Change because someone else's
Life looks better?

Change because someone heard
From someone else
That their sister's best friend's Dad
Read on the Internet that
Not doing "this" will change your life.

Life is what you make it.
Maybe an alteration is what you need
NOT a change.

I think,
Spending your life
Doing the best you can
As often as you can....
Is the best way to live.

So maybe "change" is too harsh
An idea for anyone's life!

I think maybe I would just like
To do my best at what I do.

Good night from John Street



Comments

Popular Posts