june11

June 11th 2016

A few weeks ago, Father Paul had a sermon that was very intriguing. I am not using his sermon, just the story he had read and used himself in his sermon.

LOSS! "A year after the death of her daughter, a grieving mother (mom) writes to her family and friends:
“There are no appropriate words; nothing you can say that will make it better. But your calls,
your visits, your invitations mean a lot to me. They remind me I am still alive and still have a life
outside this tragedy.
“I cry a lot, and I am okay with that. I’m not embarrassed about it, and you shouldn’t be either.
Don’t suggest that I take medication. I’m entitled to my emotions. I need to feel, to grieve. I
want to talk about my daughter. I want to say her name and hear her name, and if I cry, it’s okay.
Please don’t avoid talking to me because you don’t want to upset me. I will cry either alone or in
front of you, and I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable or guilty.
“If what you tell me is true, that you think of me all the time, please call me or send me an e-mail.
Don’t wait for that random grocery-aisle meeting to tell me how much I am on your mind… My
loss is not contagious. You shouldn’t be scared to be with me. Any discomfort you initially feel
should subside if you give it a chance and give me a chance. If you are planning an evening out,
a lunch date, a getaway, please make an effort to include me. I often feel like a pariah. My
intention is not to ‘bring you down’, and I do my best not to burden anyone with my sadness.
Don’t feel awkward inviting me to have some ‘fun’, and don’t assume I won’t join in, so why
even bother asking. I may often decline, but it is comforting to be included. Being excluded is
killing me…
“If you see my kids, don’t just ask them how I am doing; please ask them how they are doing.
They lost their older sister, their confidante, their best friend, and need to know that people are
concerned about them, too. This loss happened to my whole family — all of us.
“I realized this past year, after the last meal was dropped off, the last card arrived, and the official
visits were over, everyone’s lives resumed, except ours. Yes, we go through the motions, smiling,
working, nodding, and telling people we are fine. But deep inside there is that void, that constant
ache that will always be there, as it should be, and that is alright with me.”"
© Rev. Paul Baillargeon


I am guilty.
I am guilty
of leaving my friends and family
to work out there problems
or deal with their loss
without interference
feeling I was being to pushy
or demanding of their time
while they had so much
on their own plates or on their minds.

Personal space is a funny thing.
Although you need it,
when you have lots of it,
you do not want it.
And when you want it,
there is none to be had.

I rejoice in the fact
that I have friends and family
who do not hold this bad habit against me,
and that they themselves
though not perfect
are always there for me
when I need them.

I just have to ask.



ASK.

It's like saying a bad word.
When you do need a shoulder,
you expect people to know
and just do the right thing.
You do not want
to "ask" for help
or comfort
or a hand to hold.
You want it just to be there.

How often have we blamed
our spouse for not just giving us a kiss,
or hugging us while we cried?

Probably as often
as we have sat wondering
exactly what to do
when a friend loses a loved one
or the family has a problem
that there is no easy way out of.

I think this story
could be
a giant kick in the pants
for all of us.

Don not take for granted
your supporting friends,
or the love of your family.

Give more than you get,
in the hopes
that you will be paid back ten fold
on those days
that you need it.


Good night from a very very tired woman
on John Street.

Comments

Popular Posts