feb 15

Sunday February 15th 2015

I do not get it.


Maybe because I have a husband 
who does not get this holiday.
Maybe because I live every day 
and every opportunity like it is a family day.

You read facebook posts 
about families getting everything done today
so they can celebrate tomorrow.....

I guess I am desensitized, but it only makes sense 
that FAMILY DAY
is 
ANYTIME
your family is together.


Not 2 months ago....
everyone celebrated with their family
at Christmas.
In just 43 days most families will celebrate Easter!
It is not like we do not see our families.

I read the reasoning for this holiday
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Day_%28Canada%29
and it seems to me
that it was only an election ploy.

I support whole heartedly spending time with family.
The problem with making it a holiday
is no better than the commercialization of Valentines Day
which so many people object to!

Although a sales ploy,
I think families would get better use of
the Hasbro idea!


Now THAT was brilliant.
I certainly hope whoever came up with that 
for the company got a giant bonus
for bringing it to a mass market.

Growing up 
that was how we spent Sundays.
Church, donuts or a visit to relatives,
and games at the kitchen table while supper cooked.

Memories of my mother cheating so she would lose
and didn't have to play monopoly any longer,
do not include her leaving the room after she lost!
She was busy laughing at whoever was losing next!


Playing memory games on the table
(it was glass)
and purposely dropping cards to see what the cards were
or 
playing SORRY! and forcing Dad back to his home base.
What about euchre? and rummy?
or building a house of cards.
After supper you did the dishes quick
or chanced missing 
Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Colour
and the Bugs Bunny Show.

THOSE
are family memories!
No politician told us we had to do it.
We gladly spent time together.
We found  the time to spend together.



I applaud my family.
They taught me that every occasion big or small
was a time to celebrate.
Every holiday, birthday,
or just that Sunday was a great time to spend time together.

SO!
Enjoy your day off.
Happy family day to those who get it.
BUT!
Do not forget to take advantage 
of all those other times 
you could be celebrating 


especially the small things!
Some of those small things are your best memories.

Good night from John Street.

Comments

Popular Posts