Tuesday September 2nd 2014

Bear with me on this one.....

I grew up in a very tight knit family, who seen our extended family at least once a week, ate meals together, celebrated every holiday known to a calendar ~ including some we made up TERESA!


I wish I could have given that to my daughter. The close family experience I had growing up. Knowing and loving your aunts and uncles so well, that even though you seen them often, it was still wonderful seeing them arrive. My maternal grandmother had 5 grandchildren and one nephew so close we might as well make it 6. We grew up together, went on holidays together, spent weekends together...



I guess that is why sometimes I feel so lonely.
Even when I know I could call someone.

You see, when the 6 of us grew up, all of us left St Catharines. Some only to Thorold, but some as far as Windsor. Life happens, and suddenly my god-daughter is 17! and my god-son is 21! and my oldest nephew has 2 boys, one of which goes to school next year! There is no time to make all those memories for them. Sure we managed some, and will manage some more.....but not like I had it! I was very lucky.



I love that for a very long time our family had a leader. Someone who insisted that things be a certain way, and made sure we were all at holiday dinners. I love that we had a giggly member, the eater, a fun goofy member who sometimes wore the superhero cape too! The grumpy member, the teacher, the singer, the baker, the consoler, the one who questioned everything, the one who had all the answers.



I love that I spent my childhood surrounded by the most amazing collage of cousins, aunts, uncles, grannies, great aunts and uncles and adopted family and more friends and neighbors than I can count!

I want to believe that I managed to fill Judy's childhood with happy memories and stories to last her into her old age.

Some days, when bad news is received I long for the days when we all lived so close together, we could be the shoulder to cry on. The kitchen table surrounded by those all saddened by the same news. The same can be said for the days I am bursting with good news, and can only hope to reach the ones I grew up with via my facebook page.

I am very thankful to my parents for being able to give me those memories.

I am sure these thoughts are not solely my own. Other families, MUST have been the same. I did not have a perfect family................. but I sure do miss all the family get togethers we used to have.

Good night

Comments

Popular Posts