Sunday September 28th 2014

A busy day indeed!

We were off to London early this morning. My sister in law was valedictorian of her Pharmacist Assistant class graduation today. Got lots of lovely photos! A time to celebrate.


She is a strong person to go back to school and start all over again at 40 something!


While we listened to some of the speeches, I was struck by the one young man who spoke about everything you hear, say and do being a story.
I am intent on contacting him for a copy of the speech as it was quite interesting.


The day was filled with smiles, hugs and kisses. She wrote a wonderful valedictorian speech. A speech that, although hard for her to make she breezed through it calmly, and clearly addressed a large room of people. John was proud to see her finally find a career as opposed to a job. I can't imagine what it took to complete schooling with no licence and 4 adult children (3 still at home during this) She says she hoped to inspire other family members not to give up their dreams. I am sure she has. We wish her luck with her new career.

We came home and got the other tupperware cupboard organized, under the sink clean and organized and watched a little NCIS. Tonight we also had panzarotti. mmmmmmmmm

Tomorrow we will be celebrating again, but differently.

John's Aunt's memorial is in Thedford. We, as a family, mourn the loss, but are thankful her fatal illness was short lived, and she passed away peacefully in her sleep at home, which was her dying wish. Tomorrow we will celebrate her life. She has requested an informal celebration instead of a regular funeral. This has been met with mixed thoughts.

I think a funeral is a way to say good bye for those left behind. The choice to not have a viewing, a mass, a procession and a burial is a personal choice. I can see why some would prefer not to have a more customary funeral. The expense, the drawn out mourning period and the unnecessary pain it causes the most immediate family.

I also understand the necessity for humans to be able to "finish" their part of life with that person. I have been brought up Roman Catholic, and been to many big, high mass funerals with days at the funeral home for visitation. I do not begrudge those people of the funeral they had. I appreciated the time to hear stories from friends and family. The time to mourn for someone I lost. I am not sure what I actually, if I even have formed a thought about, would want........

I hope that somehow at this unconventional celebration, everyone who knew her, will get a brief moment to say good bye. A chance to say thank you. An opportunity to make peace with her passing. The possibility of saying I am sorry if necessary.










Good night

Comments

Popular Posts