oct17

October 17th 2016

The U.S. and U.K.

Western cultures tend to be youth-centric, emphasizing attributes like individualism and independence. This relates back to the Protestant work ethic, which ties an individual's value to his or her ability to work — something that diminishes in old age. Anthropologist Jared Diamond, who has studied the treatment of the elderly across cultures, has said the geriatric in countries like the U.K. and U.S. live "lonely lives separated from their children and lifelong friends." As their health deteriorates, the elderly in these cultures often move to retirement communities, assisted living facilities, and nursing homes.

AND so begins chapter 16 of my life.
I am trapped between
duty, family, controversy
and old age.

I am dealing with two 74 year old people
who both think they are right
both think they're going to live forever
and I get to be the bearer of the great news
that they are wrong.

I also get to work with agencies
that take 2 weeks to find a paper clip!
Overworked staff,
under-interested governments help
and all on a budget.

My Dad had a stroke
he did some recovery but
well
he is lazy and uninterested in exercise
as most of us are.
The problem is 18 months ago he fell
and broke his hip.
Now he has to play catch up to
where he had gotten
with new improved pain.

Mom is getting older too,
thankfully no biggie damage,
but she is a hard one to get to eat,
and she is shorter than 5 feet tall,
which makes taking care
of a 6 foot 200lb man a bit hard!

Ideally.... in a perfect world,
they would find a retirement community,
not a long term care home,
where access to help is available,
that BOTH could get the care and help
they need to live on their own,
with access on site for Dad when
he needs a bit more than mom can do.

They met when they were 12
splitting them up is not an option
I am willing to embrace as long as I can.
They have a fur baby too!
So consideration of pets is a concern,
and closeness to family
is a key issue too.

When I get this finally figured out,
and the dust settles,
I will need a major vacation.
Stress, opinions, right, wrong,
he said, she said aside...
the paperwork is insane.

Today was beautiful.
I got Dad to sit outside
and we talked for 2 hours.
He is so animated,
I am wondering what new amazing drug
Valleyview is giving him.

Talked to Mom and she is feeling
pretty much herself again.
She is eating some of the meals
I froze for her a couple weeks ago,
and enjoying this nice bit of weather
and doing some gardening.

Me?
I am tired.

So I am off to my bed
with a comic.

Good night from John Street


Comments

Popular Posts