DECEMBER 8

December 8th 2017


Good night.
The day has flown by 
and NOTHING got done at my own house.
MOM's house however,
is looking very festive.

So 
I woke up with a headache,
so I went and sat down
and promptly fell back to sleep.
At 10am
John asked what I was doing
sitting in the guitar room,
and I bolted awake.
hahhahahah
apparently I needed more sleep.

Got dressed and off to Mom's
where it was coffee Friday.
We even called a couple missing
or broken people to say hi.

Gwen hung back 
and the three of us headed
to the basement of the condo
to finish decorating.
Problem is,
she has picked through all the décor
and we had to double check each box.

We finished the 2 windows at 4pm.
I headed home
only to learn John was headed 
back to bed for some more sleep.

So I grabbed a casserole
and headed back to Mom's.
She was headed off to visit Dad
at Valleyview so I tagged along,
so I could drive the van home
and get it parked.

Our visit was quite nice,
but Dad was quite tired
after his big trip to Beamsville yesterday.

SO I told him I would be back in the am

to get some more wrapping done.

Back to the condo,
I stuck the casserole in the oven
and for the next 3 hours,
did little by little cleaning and decorating.

Mom now has a decorated chandelier,
a decorated bannister,
mistletoe hung!
Bows on wreaths
and a clean island.

John and I headed home,
he got ready for work,
while I got chocolate ready for 
peanut butter squares,
and broke up the candycane bark.

The kitchen is clean,
the gifts etc are ready
for tomorrow morning's wrapping
and I am too pooped to do anything else.


Candle in the Window

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle"- Robert Alden
Placing a burning candle in one's window is a common tradition that dates back to colonial times. Candle light often evokes the warmth of home and family. The fireplace was center of family life in days gone by, and thus the candle was generally lit from that fire. The candle was often placed in the window when a member of the family was away. The lit candle was also placed in the window as a sign of good news or as a beacon to weary travelers. Candles also represented friendship and were seen as a sign of welcome to others. In early America, homes were often miles apart. The sight of a candle in a window from a distance was a sign of "welcome" to those wishing to visit.





Good night from John Street

Comments

Popular Posts