DECEMBER 16

December 16th 2017

It's hard to believe
That 12 hours ago
I was just getting up!

I feel like the day flew by
And I accomplished only
A small portion
Of what I wanted to!

90% of the wrapping is done
And my "to get" list 
Is very short and easy.

I am going to see Dad early
(Before Sunday lunch)
To work on that last 
homemade gift that does not
Seem to want to be completed.

My anxiety level was elevated
But a friend popped over
And gave me a mozza stick
And made me laugh!

Then,
There was a stranger
Knocking on the door,
And it was out new neighbour
With a GIANT pointsettia
To thank us for their 
Christmas card!

Mom popped over
And we snacked on pizza
And Christmas goodies
While watching Rudolph.

Too pooped to keep going.

Christmas Manger

The word creche is from the French word for manger. The French word comes from the Italian word Greccio. Greccio was the town where the first manger scene was set up by St. Francis of Assisi in 1223, some say as an alternative for pilgrims wanting to go to Bethlehem, which was then occupied by the Turks. Before that time, many churches had built nativity scenes, but these early mangers were covered with gold, silver, and jewels. They were much fancier than the original manger in which the Christ child was laid. St. Francis wanted people to remember that Jesus was born in a humble stable. He asked a farmer friend of his to help by bringing an ox, a donkey, a manger and some straw to a nearby cave. On Christmas Eve, St. Francis and the people of Greccio met in this cave. By candlelight, they acted out the story of Jesus’ birth.


Good night from John Street

Comments

Popular Posts