June 28th 2021

To many people
This was just another Monday.

For me though,
It is a 10 year marker.

10 years ago today
I was booked for major surgery.
Surgery I had been waiting 2 months for.
It was the day that meant
I could start eating solid foods
And come off of IV feeding.

I had been ill and running a fever
The whole day before,
But my nursing did not think
It was anything too serious.
They were wrong.

John wheeled me to the surgical check in
And got us all checked in.
I was wheeled away to prep
And he headed to the waiting room.

I do not remember being too scared,
But I am sure I was!
This surgery would be long and involved
And all 3 of my doctors
Would be in the surgery suite.

I remember laying on the gurney
Before going in, alone in the hall.
I remember the anesthesiologist 
Arguing that the IV should already 
Be hooked up and running.

I remember being laid out
Like I was on a cross 
and being strapped down.
Oxygen mask, count down
Gone.

Those are MY last memories
Until
I was being wheeled into my room
And seen Connie at the door
And she had definitely been crying
Gone again.

It was a long road to recovery.
They had to remove my large intestine
Completely and correct
Many issues including fistulas.

The doctor told me I had been septic.
My bowels were leaking
Into my body cavity.
I was dying...
In fact I had needed resucitation
During the long and involved surgery.

These are all facts I learned much later.

When I woke up
I put my hand down on my belly...
No
They had not needed to give me
An stormy bag.
I smiled and slept.

Weeks of recovery,
Infections
And confusing doctor instructions later
My body was starting to heal.

It was not the end of something
It was the beginning of my fight to survive.

And now?
I celebrate my 10th anniversary 
of that surgery
And my 34th anniversary
Of living with this disease

With a Remicade infusion today.

Good night from John Street

Comments

Popular Posts