Feb 23rd 2020

On Feb 23 1954 the first mass inoculation for polio happened. Polio, short for poliomyelitis, or infantile paralysis, is an infectious disease caused by the poliovirus. Those who are infected may spread the disease for up to six weeks even if no symptoms are present. The disease occurs naturally only in humans.

The disease is preventable with the polio vaccine however, multiple doses are required for it to be effective. 

Poliomyelitis has existed for thousands of years, with depictions of the disease in ancient art. The disease was first recognized as a distinct condition by the English physician Michael Underwood in 1789 and the virus that causes it was first identified in 1908 by the Austrian immunologist Karl Landsteiner. Major outbreaks started to occur in the late 19th century in Europe and the United States. In the 20th century it became one of the most worrying childhood diseases in these areas. 

Valleyview Sunday coffee time.
I got up early and made fresh bread
As mom was making meatball stew.

I also made Apple caramel bread pudding.
It was a good morning
And we had a yummy lunch.

Then we aired out Dad.
We bundled him out and pushed
Him out the door for some fresh air.

We made a pit stop
To pick up a LOAD of raffle items
For the upcoming crops
Then headed home.

I debated on taking a nap,
But John convinced me we should
Just relax and have a movie day.
I should have slept!

At 6pm, and very suddenly,
While we were watching a movie, 
I asked for an ice pack 
because I suddenly got really hot 
and within 10 min 
was too nauseous to sit upright!

Off to bed and migraine meds.
I slept for 2 hours
And woke up able to sit up at least.

I am sitting here drinking water,
Lots of water!

Good night from John Street

Comments

Popular Posts