Feb 26th 2020


For Pete’s Sake Day celebrates one example of a ‘minced oath’, where an offensive word or phrase is substituted by something more acceptable in society. Other examples include ‘For crying out loud!’, and ‘Sugar!’. Such euphemisms have been used for centuries whenever people hit thumbs with hammers, burn hands on hot plates, or sit on sharp things while in polite company.Why has Pete been singled out for special attention? People started saying “for Pete’s sake” instead as early as 1903, according to the Oxford English Dictionary citations. But there’s no confirmed reason why people use Pete instead of Tom, Jim, or any other name for that matter. One speculative theory in the Morris Dictionary is that someone replaced Jesus or God with another religious figure—St. Peter.

I moved at a sloth's pace today,
Which I looked up and is about 2mph!
Considering the average human walks
about 3.1mph and a sloth is much smaller,
I must rethink my comparison.
Maybe a snail's pace at 0.047mph
Is a better description of my pace today.

Everything I did
Seemed to take longer OR
I would forget what I was doing
Half way through a chore!!!
This made double work
For no real explainable reason.

I managed to organize the new hall
And the menu for this weekend's crop,
Clean the office up and put away
Some 2019  2pnt paperwork,
Do a load of laundry,
Make some banana bread
And clean the kitchen -
After prepping fish and chips
With Apple coleslaw for supper.

We did celebrate Other's 4th birthday
And while John watched a goofy movie -
I spent 2 hours organizing
My rhinestone bling by colour
And into binder sleeves
While watching "shall we dance"
Which is one of my top favourites.
(Then I swept the craft room!)

I did have to work in short shifts
For the whole day,
As I was babying my right foot.
It is bruised and sore
And I have no idea why!

Now I am just relaxing
Before going to bed
WITHOUT my night-time games!
I must have reached for them 
like 10 times already today!
This is going to be tough.

John just left for a snowy night's
Drive to Hamilton, Niagara, 
Cambridge and London.

I am all packed up for Valleyview
To do coffee tomorrow morning,
If it's reasonable to drive.
Otherwise I am homebound for the day.
Maybe a big project....

Good night from John Street

Comments

Popular Posts