Jan 24th 2020

Today millions of young boys and girls are members of scouting organizations.  
It all began with the publication of the book, Scouting for Boys, by Lord Robert Baden-Powell, on January 24, 1908. Baden-Powell was born in London on February 22, 1857. He spent much of his early life playing in the woods around his home, learning about nature and what was then called wood-craft—how to make-do with the materials that nature provided and how to sustain life away from industrialized society. He wrote that “… in my spare time as a schoolboy I did a good lot of scouting in the woods in the way of snaring rabbits and cooking them, observing birds and tracking animals, and so on.” Scouting for Boys translated Baden-Powell’s knowledge into lessons designed to give boys a taste of adventure and lots of advice for living honorable and satisfying lives. He wrote: “I knew that every true red-blooded boy is keen for adventure and open-air life, and so I wrote this book to show you how it could be done even in a civilized country like England.” The book was an instant success. It taught boys how to interact with nature. As Robert Baden-Powell said, “Life without adventure would be deadly dull.”

Today started with an alarm clock
At 7 ugly o'clock in the morning.
I had a Dr. appointment in London,
And had to be up early
Just in case we had winter weather issues.

I forgot my car has not moved 
In almost 2 weeks,
So glad I had extra time
To get the residual snow-ice off her.

Not a bad drive in and into the office
Pretty quickly too.
Tests results show my kidney function
Has greatly improved (tg)
And everything looked fine.

Off to the grocery store
For crop supplies
And then home... for a nap.

At 1pm I got up,
Prepped 95% of the food
And we loaded the vehicles
And went to the hall for set up.

To find no tables set up.....
Ugh.
We unloaded the vehicles
And started the process of 
Putting accessible power
To everyone's table.

Thankfully 2 hubby's to the rescue
And the rest of the tables
And chairs flew into place.

By 4pm we were all done
And the hall completely set up!
Like just turn on the coffee set up!!!

Home again,
John was making pasta, stuffed peppers
And garlic buns with Caesar salad.

We spent the evening
Watching tv, grabbing and packing
Last minute items I had forgot,
And packing me a project.

By 9pm,
John was napping,
The house was clean (ish,
I was in pjs with a cider
And everything was ready for tomorrow.

Yes that's no typo!!! 9pm.

I spent an hour
Watching some Disney+
And when John left for work,
I popped into bed.

Setting the alarm for tomorrow again
At 7 ugly o'clock in the morning
But at least it's at the end of my street
Not in a different city!!!

Good night from John Street

Comments

Popular Posts