feb9 SHROVE tuesday

February 9th 2016


Ash Wednesday is one of the most popular and important holy days in the liturgical calendar, well known to most as Pancake Tuesday.

Tomorrow, Ash Wednesday opens Lent, a season of fasting and prayer. Ash Wednesday takes place 46 days before Easter Sunday, and is chiefly observed by Catholics, although many other Christians observe it too. Ash Wednesday comes from the ancient Jewish tradition of penance and fasting. The practice includes the wearing of ashes on the head. The ashes symbolize the dust from which God made us. As the priest applies the ashes to a person's forehead, he speaks the words: "Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return." This is a season of penance, reflection, and fasting which prepares us for Christ's Resurrection on Easter Sunday.


As a child many of us "gave up something" like chocolate or pop. Giving up meat on Fridays and attending an extra mass each week was also common. If you did not personally, I am sure you know someone who has. I am often asked why I do this every year. My answer: It makes me more accountable for the wonderful life I have been given.

and so.......... the challenge:

2 years ago, rather than give up coke or chips, we had a 40 bags of donations in 40 days challenge. We were very successful at downsizing the easy to grab stuff we were saving for..........? and realizing how truly blessed we are.

Now, this 2016

I challenge you to another 40 day challenge.

200 seems like a lot. I have even chosen NOT to read all the items, so I will be playing along with you. Divided this gives us 5 items to downsize each day (not sundays) until Easter.
How can 5 items a day equal 200??? Do the math.

Can you do it? Challenge your sister, mother, aunt or friend. Realizing how much we have, and are not grateful for is punishment enough. Keep me updated!






Stuff.  
We all have it.  It invades our homes when we’re not looking. It is an unwanted, unruly guest that has proven difficult to kick out.  Sometimes it marches proudly into our lives masquerading as something that will give our life meaning and our hearts contentment.  We will spend our lifetime accumulating and admiring the stuff we own.  But do we really own it?  Lately, I feel like my stuff owns me.

I feel like I’m a slave to stuff.  That’s hard and downright embarrassing to admit. I have a busy life, and I have a honest to goodness love/hate relationship with stuff! I want to complete what I have started this year. So join me this Lent, and let’s get control of our stuff and stop letting it control us. 

Living with less isn’t about the number of things you get rid of it’s about living with enough to be content and getting rid of the rest.  The rest is just clutter, unnecessary, energy-draining clutter.

The list of 200 items, isn’t a list of things that I have gotten rid of myself, but of things that I want to will get rid of!


As you see the items posted from this list each day, I want you to remember two things:

1.) Remember you can sell, donate, recycle or throw away. Knowing that I’m allowing someone else to enjoy my things makes it easier for me to let them go. So have a place in mind NOW.

2.) Keep things that make you feel good.  If it doesn’t make you feel happy when you look at it, get rid of it quickly. 

3.) Donate every week... Monday is an easy day to remember as you will not have a "5 item to do list" Sunday nights.

Surround yourself with things you enjoy.
Don’t be afraid to let it go. You can do this!!!

Tomorrow night I will post the first 5 items!

Happy Shrove Tuesday!
I hope you enjoyed your pancakes.


Good night from John Street

Comments

Popular Posts