Jan 29th 2021

I was reading some "news"
On the internet the other day
When I happened onto
An article about 28 menu ideas
For February.
That would mean 1 new recipe
Every day if we agreed on them.

Surprisingly
They were family favourites
With a twist... so out of the 28
John agreed to 27
While only 25 appealed to me.

Still not a bad average!!!!!

So,
Wednesday I wrote out the recipes.
Thursday I made a list of groceries
And then cross referenced them
Against what we had in the house
And made an accurate list
Of what we would need.

Today was shopping day.
I started at bulk barn
Because I knew this would be
A costly thing. I had some
Of the necessary spices
But still needed 15 or so.
They had all but 3 on my list
And my total came to...
$4.07
What? I was expecting waaaay higher.

Happily I trotted off to dollar tree
Where I stocked up on freezer bags
And managed to find
A few more items on the list...
Like balsamic vinegar!

My next stop was superstore.
Although I had a list for these recipes,
I also have a house to keep going
And the only place for the cat
Food and litter we use is there.

So I once again,
Attacked my list.
Found out beef short ribs 
Are SUPER expensive !!!
I also managed to find the sesame oil
And the Asian dressing I needed.

Loaded the car,
And took a moment to rewrite
The list which was very messy by now.

Off to freshco.
I KNOW that store,
So I made quick work
Of loading up on list items.
Then I found my buddy loading
Up the shelves and he helped me
Find a bunch of obscure items.
Gotta love that our store 
Has a great guy who knows
Where stuff is.

Alright.
Now I wish I could say I was done...
But I had a bunch of misc items
That I managed to find
At my last stop at food basics.
I also bought mom a flowering plant.

Now it was 3pm.
Time to do 2 pick ups
Before I could pop over to
Give mom her flowers and the
Disney puzzle I picked up,
And then off to pick up
A bottle of red wine
A friend did not need but was
On my grocery list!

Finally
I got home....
Now i faced the real job
Of emptying the car,
Putting all the groceries SOMEWHERE
And portioning the proteins
For the 27 meals.

That meant straightening cupboards
And reorganizing Freezers and fridges!
John got to work cutting down meats
And I put everything away
After cooking 6lbs of ground beef
For the freezer (easy when making dinner)

Tonight we made the first meal.
Honey glazed pork chops,
Bacon roasted potatoes,
Carrots and my homemade apple sauce.
Amazing...

John was stuffed.
And no nap... he had to head to work.

I managed to straighten the kitchen
And get the dishwasher running.

Tomorrow is a cauliflower
And pork stir fry.

Stripped our bed 
And now I get to sleep
On fresh clean sheets.
Laundry away,
Meds taken and a book in my hand.

Good night from John Street



Comments

Popular Posts