June 6th 2020

My Dad died today.

My morning started with
An 8:30am phone call
That needed time sensitive
Decisions made.

I was up,
Dressed and in my car
With a donut pick up
Then headed to mom's.

So many decisions
We made quickly and decisively.
Valleyview was going to make
Dad comfortable and get some
Heavy pain killers started
During this new palliative state.
We would be able to see him
One at a time today.

The funeral home needed
To be called and arrangements made.

By 10am 
We were done.
Now a post on facebook
Would be a faster method of advising
People that he was palliative.
So I made a post
And we headed over to see him.

I was there first by 11.
After passing covid screening,
I headed to his room.
At first sight I backed out in horror.
He was so still
And the pneumonia rattle so loud.
I calmed down and managed a visit.

I held his hand
Told him I would miss him
And that I loved him and left...
After making sure he was clean shaven.

I went out of the building
And John went in.
Then Mom who spent over an hour
Visiting promising to be back at 4.

I headed to the grocery store
For a few items
And got the phone call
That he has passed away minutes
After we left!
This all happened in 6 hours.

In shock, I was the one to call Mom.
We all headed back to Valleyview.
Mom wanted to say a last good bye.

We agreed she shouldn't be alone
And so brought her home for dinner
And some cherry brandy.

I kept busy cooking.
I still am kind of numb.
Phone calls began, emails sent,
Arrangements finalized
And friend visits began 
as we finished eating.

My world is now changed.
Caregiver for now takes a back burner.
I am going to take time 
To replenish myself and my life.

Not sure where this branch of the road
Will take me in the next week's and months
But I know I now have someone else
Up there watching over me.

And sure as shit he's up there
Fishing with Ray and Earl.

Good night from John Street

Comments

  1. My condolences Deb and your mom. I just couldn't come out last night. I'm not very good support. Take the time to grieve. It's a very important part of saying goodbye. Hope your dad will be meeting up with my mom. I know they would have gotten along fabulously here. I really loved your dad and am so happy to have been part of so many wonderful memories. You are all so much family to me. Love Linda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts